What are the best vitamin C in Philippines for the year 2023?
Vitamin C, also known as ascorbic acid, is a vital nutrient that keeps the body functioning properly. Found in foods and dietary supplements, it helps many biological functions, including the healing of wounds, the synthesis of collagen, and the repair and maintenance of bones, cartilage, and teeth. Vitamin C is also an antioxidant, meaning that it can neutralize free radicals that damage cells at the genetic level.
In this article, we discuss the best vitamin C in Philippines for the year 2023, the importance of Vitamin C, its health benefits, the best time to take Vitamin C, and more.
What is Vitamin C?
Also known as ascorbic acid, Vitamin C is a water-soluble vitamin – this means that your body doesn’t store it. You have to get what you need from food and supplements.
Vitamin C was discovered in 1912 and isolated in 1928. In 1933, it was the first vitamin to be chemically produced. It is one of the World Health Organization’s Lists of Essential Medicines, the safe and most effective medicines necessary in a health system.
Importance of Vitamin C and Its Health Benefits
Vitamin C is essential to your health.
Vitamin C is crucial for the growth and repair of tissues in all parts of your body. It also helps the body make collagen, a vital protein used to make cartilage, ligaments, tendons, blood vessels, and skin. Vitamin C is also necessary for healing wounds, and for repairing and maintaining teeth and booths.
Vitamin C is also an antioxidant, along with beta-carotene, Vitamin E, and many other plant-based nutrients. Antioxidants block some of the damage caused by free radicals that damage DNA. The buildup of free radicals over time may contribute to the aging process and the development of health conditions, such as heart disease, arthritis, and certain cancers.
Below, we list down 3 main health benefits of Vitamin C.
- Vitamin C is a strong antioxidant. Vitamin C is a strong antioxidant, which serves as a molecule that protects the immune system from harmful free radicals. These harmful molecules cause oxidative stress to the body when piled together and have been linked to numerous chronic diseases. Studies show that consuming more Vitamin C can increase your blood antioxidant levels by as much as 30%. This helps the body’s natural defenses fight inflammation.
- Vitamin C may help manage high blood pressure. High blood pressure puts you at risk of heart disease, the leading cause of death across the globe. Studies show that Vitamin C may help lower blood pressure in people with and without high blood pressure. An analysis of several studies shows that taking a Vitamin C supplement reduced systolic blood pressure by 3.8 mmHg and diastolic blood pressure by 1.5 mmHg in healthy adults. In healthy adults with high blood pressure levels, Vitamin C supplements were revealed to reduce systolic blood pressure by 4.9 mmHg and diastolic blood pressure by 1.7 mmHg.
- Vitamin C boosts immunity. Vitamin C is a popular immune booster. Vitamin C is involved in numerous aspects of the immune system. It encourages the production of white blood cells, which helps protect the body against infection. Vitamin C also helps these white blood cells function more effectively while protecting them from the damage caused by harmful free radicals. Vitamin C is also a crucial part of the skin’s defense system. It is actively transported to the skin, where it acts as an antioxidant and helps strengthen the skin’s barriers.
How Much Vitamin C Is Necessary?
The amount of Vitamin C that you need depends on several factors, including your age and nutritional requirements. The table below shows the general recommendations for Vitamin C intake.
|Recommended Daily Allowance (RDA)
|Tolerable Upper Intake Levels (ULs)
|Infants (0–6 months)
|n/a (infants should only take vitamin C in foods)
|Infants (7–12 months)
|n/a (infants should only take vitamin C in foods)
|Children (1–3 years)
|Children (4–8 years)
|Children (9–13 years)
|Males (14–18 years)
|Females (14–18 years)
|Males (19 years and older)
|Females (19 years and older)
|Pregnancy (14–18 years)
|Pregnancy (19 years and older)
|Breastfeeding (14–18 years)
|Breastfeeding (19 years and older)
To make sure that you are getting enough Vitamin C, consult your doctor about your individual needs.
Best Vitamin C in Philippines
Since our body can’t produce Vitamin C on its own, we have to obtain it through foods or supplements. And, since our bodies can’t store Vitamin C, we have to regularly consume it to meet our needs.
Many fruits and vegetables contain Vitamin C. True Vitamin C deficiencies are rare in today’s developed world. However, many people still don’t eat enough to meet their nutrient needs. Plus, some people – including pregnant and breastfeeding women, people on special diets, those with kidney issues, and smokers – have a high need for Vitamin C. In all of these cases, Vitamin C supplements can help.
There are numerous Vitamin C brands in the Philippines. Some of the best Vitamin C brands in the country include:
- Fern C. Fern C is sodium ascorbate, a form of Vitamin C, which is more readily absorbed by the body. Fern C provides all the benefits of Vitamin C without the stomach discomforts typically associated with traditional ascorbic acid. It also contains sodium ascorbate produced by DSM of Switzerland, the second-largest producer of vitamin raw materials. In the Philippines, Fern C is the only Vitamin C that carries Quali-C®. Quali-C® guarantees you and your family are getting on the safest, world-class quality sodium ascorbate.
Ingredients: Each capsule contains: Sodium Ascorbate 568.18 mg (equivalent to Ascorbic Acid 500 mg)
- Vitamin World US Vitamin C. Vitamin World US Vitamin C is a vegetarian vitamin supplement that nourishes your immune system. This vitamin supplement provides you with a powerful source of Vitamin C. It offers powerful antioxidant properties, provides immune support, and contributes to gum, heart, and skin health.
Ingredients: Vitamin C 500 mg 833% (as Ascorbic Acid), Vegetable Cellulose. Contains <2% of: Vegetable Stearic Acid, Vegetable Magnesium Stearate, Silica
- Poten-Cee + C Vitamin C + Collagen. Poten-Cee + C Vitamin C + Collagen is a daily vitamin supplement that helps improve the quality of your skin. It contains 70mg of Vitamin C in combination with 650mg of hydrolyzed collagen, both of which are scientifically proven to reduce skin dryness and improve hydration. It also supports overall skin vitality and may prevent the formation of wrinkles.
Ingredients: Hydrolyzed Collagen, Ascorbic Acid, Magnesium Stearate, Silicon Dioxide, Rice Flour
- Nature Made Vitamin C. Nature Made Vitamin C is an antioxidant supplement that helps you meet your daily Vitamin C needs. This supplement can help support the immune system, neutralizes free radicals in the body, and helps in the production of collagen to maintain healthy skin.
Ingredients: Cellulose Gel, Hypromellose, Croscarmellose Sodium, Stearic Acid, Magnesium Stearate, Silicon Dioxide
- Asahi Dear Natura Vitamin C. Asahi Dear Natura Vitamin C is an everyday Vitamin C supplement. This supplement helps stimulate collagen production; refines skin texture and promotes younger-looking skin, and promotes cellular health.
Ingredients: Vitamin C Cellulose, Stearic Acid CA, Vitamin B6, Vitamin B2
When is the Best Time to Take Vitamin C?
As with most vitamin supplements, when and how you take your Vitamin C can affect its effectiveness.
Vitamin C is water-soluble, so it doesn’t need fat to be fully absorbed and used by the body. But, while you don’t necessarily have to take Vitamin C with food, many experts recommend that you do. Taking Vitamin C, especially in higher doses, on an empty stomach may cause minor irritation to your gastrointestinal tract. People with sensitive stomachs may experience gas, cramping, or diarrhea.
The key? Take your Vitamin C whenever you’ll consistently remember to do so. Most people tend to take Vitamin C in the morning along with their breakfast. However, you can also take it with your lunch, afternoon snack, or dinner.
The Bottom Line
Vitamin C, also known as ascorbic acid, is a vital nutrient that keeps the body functioning properly. Found in foods and dietary supplements, it helps many biological functions, including the healing of wounds, the synthesis of collagen, and the repair and maintenance of bones, cartilage, and teeth.
Since our body can’t produce Vitamin C on its own, we have to obtain it through foods or supplements. There are numerous Vitamin C brands in the Philippines. Some of the best Vitamin C brands in the country include Fern C, Vitamin World US Vitamin C, Poten-Cee + C Vitamin C + Collagen, Nature Made Vitamin C, and Asahi Dear Natura Vitamin C.
As with most vitamin supplements, when and how you take your Vitamin C can affect its effectiveness. The key? Take your Vitamin C whenever you’ll consistently remember to do so.
Consult your doctor before taking any supplements.
Disclaimer: The information on this site is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. All information contained on this website is for general information purposes only.