You may not think about the importance of your lung and respiratory health until you experience a breathing problem. But the truth is, like the rest of your body, your lungs need daily care and attention.
Your lungs supply oxygen and keep every other organ functioning by removing carbon dioxide from your body. Without sufficient oxygen, people are more prone to health problems, including chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, respiratory illnesses, and even heart disease. Unfortunately, genetics, disease, and the environment can affect the health of your lungs and cause respiratory problems. And when your lung health is affected, it can affect your quality of life and may prematurely shorten your lifespan.
If you’re looking for the best vitamins for lung health, clear airways, and breathing support – you’re in the right place because that is what this article is all about.
Vitamins for Lung Health Philippines
You may be wondering if it’s possible to detox and cleanse your lungs. The answer is yes, you can – with limitations, of course.
The best ways to cleanse your lungs can occur naturally. You can do things like eat a healthy diet, drink lots of water, monitor air quality, quit smoking, and avoid secondhand smoke.
However, while the best methods to cleanse your lungs can occur naturally, there are some vitamins for lungs that may help. With that said, it’s always important to consult your doctor before taking any supplements.
Below, we list down some vitamins for breathing and lung support.
- Lungcaire Plus
Lungcaire Plus is the Philippines’ only food supplement for everyday protection for your lungs! It contains 21 essential vitamins and minerals, powerful antioxidants, specialized nutrients, and a synergistic blend of herbs.
Lungcaire Plus helps promote stronger, healthier lungs; provides everyday lung protection from environmental pollution; boosts the immune system; helps relieve influenza and bronchitis, and provides resistance against allergens that cause asthma, rhinitis, and other allergic conditions. It also has antioxidants that protect cells from damage.
Ingredients: Ca carbonate 100 mg, n-acetylcysteine 100 mg, Mg oxide 50 mg, quercetin 80 mg, ascorbic acid 65 mg, MSM 50 mg, citrus bioflavonoids, boswellia serrata 100 mg, red grapeseed, green tea leaf powder, elderberry, fenugreek seed, dimethyl glycine 20 mg, bromelain 20 mg, mullein leaf/flower powder, nettle leaf, high selenium yeast 30 mcg, D-Ca pantothenate 5 mg, Zn oxide 4.5 mg, cholecalciferol 5 mcg, peppermint leaf
- Natural Care Lung-Saver
Natural Care Lung-Saver is an advanced dietary supplement formulated to support lung health. The ingredients within this powerful blend act not only to nutritionally support the lungs, but have also been traditionally used to support healthy inflammatory responses.
To help optimize respiratory health, Lung-Saver combines several natural ingredients with an educational guide to help support healthy lungs. Using a blend of key nutrients, powerful Ayurvedic herbs, along with the potent antioxidant, N-Acetyl cysteine (NAC), Natural Care Lung-Saver’s powerful formula jumps into action from the first serving. This gently formula is beneficial for all members of the family – from 4 years of age to adults.
Ingredients: Vitamin C (as Ascorbic acid) Amount Per Serving : 30 mg % Daily Value:50%,Vitamin B6 (as Pyridoxine HCl) Amount Per Serving : 50 mg % Daily Value:2,500%,Proprietary Blend Marshmallow (Althea officinalis) (root), Lobelia (Lobelia inflate) (aerial), Boswellia serrata (gum extract), Piper longum (fruit extract), Tylophora asthmatica (root extract), Picrorhiza kurroa (root extract), Licorice (Glycyrrhiza glabra) (root extract), Ginger (Zingiber officinale) (root), Adhatoda vasica (Justica adhatoda) (leaf extract), N-Acetyl cysteine (NAC), and Piper nigrum (fruit) Amount Per Serving : 385 mg % Daily Value: ,Other Ingredients Capsule (gelatin, glycerin, and titanium dioxide), and silica.
- Swisse Ultiboost Lung Health Support
Swisse Ultiboost Lung Health Support is a premium quality formula that contains important vitamins, minerals, and herbs to support lung and respiratory health, as well as help maintain a healthy immune system. It is formulated with reishi mushroom, which has been used in traditional Chinese medicine to help support healthy respiratory function. This formulation also contains astragalus which has been used in traditional Chinese and Western herbal medicine as a lung tonic. It is also formulated with mullein which is traditionally used in Western herbal medicine to help soothe inflamed surfaces within the respiratory system.
Ingredients: Vitamin A (as retinol palmitate) 35 mcg RE, Vitamin C (ascorbic acid from calcium ascorbate dihydrate) 8 mg, Vitamin E (as d-alpha-Tocopheryl acid succinate) 2.06 IU, selenium (from selenomethionine) 12 mcg, and zinc (from zinc gluconate) 1.20 mg. No added lactose, gluten, yeast, egg, artificial flavours or artificial colours. Contains soya bean.
- Swanson Lung Essentials
Swanson Lung Essentials is a proprietary blend that features Astragalus membranacus, Cordyceps sinensis, Glehnia littoralis, Lillium brownii, Scutellaria baicalensis, and more herbs that are traditionally used to support heatlhy respiratory function.
Ingredients: (Proprietary Blend) 500 mg, Glehnia littoralis (root), Poria cocos (sclerotium), Astragalus membranaceus (root), Citrus reticulata (peel), Fritillaria thunbergii (bulb), Lilium brownii (bulb), Ophiopogon japonicus (tuber), Salvia miltiorrhiza (root and rhizome), Schisandra chinensis (fruit), Tremella fuciformis (fungi), Panax quinquefolium (root), Cordyceps sinensis (fruiting bodies), Ginkgo biloba (leaf), Glycyrrhiza uralensis (root), Scutellaria baicalensis (root).
Tips to Keep Your Lungs Healthy
Aside from taking supplements formulated to support a healthy respiratory function, here are some tips to keep your lungs healthy.
- Exercise. Aerobic, cardiovascular exercise on a regular basis can help improve your lung health. It increases your body’s ability to use oxygen and more effectively removes carbon dioxide. Exercising for at least 30 minutes a day (i.e. walking or jogging) can be a huge help for your lung health. Regular moderately intense activity is great for the lungs. Plus, when you increase your daily activity, you get three things done at once – healthy lungs, a healthier heart, and a better mood.
- Stay hydrated. Drinking enough water is as important for the lungs as it is for the rest of the body. Staying well hydrated by taking in fluids throughout the day helps keep the mucosal linings in the lungs thin – this thinner lining helps the lungs function better.
- Don’t smoke – or stop smoking. You probably already know that smoking increases your risk of lung cancer. However, that’s not the only disease it can cause. In fact, smoking is linked to most lung diseases, including asthma, idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis, and COPD. Plus, it makes those diseases even more severe. Smoking also causes the lungs the lungs to age more rapidly. So, to keep your lungs healthy – don’t smoke. Or, if you’re already a smoker, find ways to quit the habit.
- Avoid exposure to pollutants. Exposure to pollutants in the air can damage your lungs and accelerate aging. When you’re young and strong, your lungs can resist these toxins easily. However, as you get older, your lungs lose some of that resistance and become more vulnerable to disease and infections. Keep your lungs healthy by reducing your exposure to pollutants as much as possible. Make sure to avoid secondhand smoke, and try not to go outside during peak air pollution times. Avoid exercising near heavy traffic, as you can inhale the exhaust. If you are exposed to pollutants at work, make sure to take all possible safety precautions.
- Prevent infections. Infections can be especially dangerous for your lungs, particularly as you age. Those who already have lung disease like COPD are particularly at risk for infections. However, even healthy seniors can easily develop pneumonia if they are not careful. The best way to avoid lung infections is to keep your hands clean. Wash your hands regularly with warm water and soap, and avoid touching your face as much as possible. Make sure to drink lots of water and eat plenty of fruits and vegetables – they contain essential nutrients that can boost your immune system. Also, make sure to stay up-to-date with your vaccinations.
When to See A Doctor
If your lungs are damaged, or if you have a serious illness like emphysema, COPD, or lung cancer, you may experience one or more of the following symptoms:
- Shortness of breath during simple activities
- Pain when breathing
- A persistent cough
- Wheezing with exercise
- Dizziness with a change in activity
- Cough associated with exercising
- Pain in the airway
Consult your doctor if you have any of these symptoms. They can run the necessary tests to figure out the cause, or refer you to a specialist if necessary.
The Bottom Line
You may not think about the importance of your lung health until you experience a breathing problem. But the truth is, like the rest of your body, your lungs need daily care and attention.
The best methods to keep your lungs healthy can occur naturally. You can do things like eat a healthy diet, drink lots of water, exercise regularly, quit smoking, and avoid secondhand smoke.
However, while the best methods to cleanse your lungs can occur naturally, there are some vitamins for lungs that may help. Some of the best vitamins for lungs include Lungcaire Plus, Natural Care Lung-Saver, Swisse Ultiboost Lung Health Support, and Swanson Lung Essentials.
Disclaimer: Please consult with your doctor or pulmonologist before taking any supplements. This article is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Please consult with your doctor regarding any questions that you may have about a medical condition.