Fish oil is one of the most commonly consumed dietary supplements.
If you’re one of the people taking fish oil vitamins, or you’re thinking about buying it, you may be curious about the exact benefits of fish oil – and whether there are any downsides to taking these supplements. So, we put together this article on what you should know about fish oil vitamins – from its uses, benefits, potential side effects, and more.
What is Fish Oil?
Fish oil can be obtained by eating fish or taking fish oil vitamins. Fish that are especially rich in the beneficial oils known as omega-3 fatty acids include tuna, mackerel, salmon, and cod liver. Two of the most important omega-3 fatty acids contained in fish oil are docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) and eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA).
A lot of the benefits of fish oil comes from the omega-3 fatty acids that it contains. DHA and EPA are involved in regulation numerous biological processes, such as brain function, the inflammatory response, and various metabolic signaling pathways.
Interestingly, the body does not produce its own omega-3 fatty acids – it must be consumed in the diet. The World Health Organization (WHO) recommends eating 1 to 2 portions of fish per week. However, if you don’t eat 1 to 2 servings of fish per week, taking fish oil vitamins can help you get enough omega-3s.
What is fish oil vitamins? Fish oil vitamins contain omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids. Omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids can be found in oils from certain types of fish, vegetables, and other plant sources. Fish oil vitamins come in capsule, pill, and liquid form. People mostly take fish oil vitamins to reduce the risk of strokes and heart attacks, to treat high blood pressure, and to improve symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis.
Benefits of Fish Oil Vitamins
Are fish oil vitamins good for you?
Below, we list down 5 potential health benefits of fish oil, according to science.
- Fish oil may help support heart health. Heart disease is the leading cause of death across the world. Studies show that people who eat a lot of fish have much lower rates of heart problems [1, 2]. Several risk factors for heart disease appear to be reduced by the consumption of fish, fish oil, or fish oil vitamins. The benefits of fish oil for heart health include:
- It can lower triglycerides by about 15% to 30%
- It can help lower blood pressure levels
- It may prevent the formation of plaques that cause your arteries to harden and make arterial plaques safer and more stable in people who already have them[5, 6]
- It can increase levels of ‘good’ HDL cholesterol
- Fish oil may help fight chronic inflammation. Oils extracted from fatty fish like mackerel, anchovies, and sardines provide two types of omega-3 fatty acids – docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) and eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) – that are known to help lower inflammation, and generally improve inflammatory conditions in the body. Because chronic, low-grade inflammation is linked with premature aging and certain diseases, fish-derived omega-3s may provide a broad spectrum of health protection.
- Fish oil may help with weight loss. Obesity is defined as having a body mass index (BMI) that’s greater than 30. Globally, approximately 39% of adults are overweight, while 13% are obese. Obesity can significantly increase your risk of other diseases, including type 2 diabetes, heart disease, and cancer. Combined with exercise, fish oil vitamins may improve body composition and risk factors for heart disease in obese individuals. Moreover, some studies show that fish oil vitamins, in combination with a healthy diet and exercise, can help you lose weight.
- Fish oil may improve bone health. Bones can begin to lose their essential minerals during old age, making them more likely to break. This can lead to conditions like osteoarthritis and osteoporosis. Vitamin D and calcium are crucial for bone health, but some studies found that omega-3 fatty acids may also help. Studies show that people with higher omega-3 intakes may have better bone mineral density. Several small studies also suggest that fish oil supplements may reduce the markers of bone breakdown, which may prevent bone disease.
- Fish oil may keep your brain sharp. One study revealed that fish oil improved cognitive performance in healthy adults between the ages of 51 – 72, in just 5 weeks compared with the effects of a placebo. Research has also linked high blood levels of omega-3s with a lower risk of anxiety and depression. What’s more, when used in combination with standard antidepressant therapies, fish oil supplementation has been shown to help treat depression compared to a placebo.
Fish Oil Vitamins Philippines
Now that you know some of the health benefits of fish oil, you may want to start looking for fish oil vitamins. Below, we list down some of our top fish oil vitamins recommendations.
- Kirkland Signature Fish Oil. Kirkland Signature Fish Oil is a dietary supplement formulated to provide the essential nutrients for the maintenance of a healthy brain and heart. It is formulated for the use of adults who want to improve certain aspects of their health (primarily immunity, memory, bone density and circulation) or to reduce symptoms of certain conditions (heart disease, rheumatoid arthritis, etc.). Kirkland Signature Fish Oil includes two main ingredients: Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA) and Eicosapentaenoic Acid (EPA). It is a purified formula that lacks the toxic subsances typically found in fish-oil based supplements, mercury, dioxins, furans, and PCBs. The fish oil used as a raw material is derived from various fish species to increase potency and maximize the concentration of essential fatty acids.
Ingredients: Natural Fish Oil Concentrate 1000 (EPA/DHA ), and other Omega 3, gelatin, glycerin, water, and Tocopherol. No artificial flavors. No artificial colors. No yeast or gluten.
- Puritan’s Pride Omega-3 Fish Oil. Puritan’s Pride Omega-3 Fish Oil is a rapid release omega-3 fish oil supplement that supports heart health, healthy circulation, and healthy joints. It provides 360mg of active omega-3s, consisting of Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA) and Eicosapentaenoic Acid (EPA) and other fatty acids. Purified to eliminate mercury.
Ingredients: Ester-Omega Fish Oil, EPA, DHA, Gelatin, Vegetable Glycerin, Mixed Nural Tocopherols. Contains fish (sardine, herring, mackerel, anchovy) ingredients. Free from caffeine, stimulants, and gluten.
- Piping Rock Omega-3 Fish Oil Lemon Flavor. Piping Rock Omega-3 Fish Oil Lemon Flavor is packed with 1,200mg of purified fish oil in each lemon-flavored soft gel. This high potency supplement utilizes fish oil’s benefits for cardiovascular health, immune performance, joint and bone health, sharp cognitive function, and healthy mood. Sourced from cold-water fish and brimming with essential fatty acids, Piping Rock Omega-3 Fish Oil Lemon Flavor is an easy, affordable way to support heart health and more!
Ingredients: Omega-3 Fatty Acids, Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA) and Eicosapentaenoic Acid (EPA), Gelatin, Vegetable Glycerin, Lemon Oil. Non-GMO. No Gluten, No Soy, No Artificial Color, No Artificial Flavor, No Artificial Sweetener, No Preservatives, No Wheat, No Yeast, No Milk, No Lactose.
- Carlson The Very Finest Fish Oil Lemon. Carlson The Very Finest Fish Oil Lemon is a lemon-flavored fish oil supplement that provides the beneficial omega-3s EPA and DHA which promotes cognitive function, heart health, and joint support. Its omega3s are sourced from high-quality, deep, cold-water fish using traditional and sustainable methods. Carlson The Very Finest Fish Oil Lemon are approved by the International Fish Oil Standards (IFOS) program, the only third-party testing and certification program exclusively for fish oil supplements, and are certified non-GMO by the International Genetically Modified Organism Evaluation and Notification (IGEN) program.
Ingredients: Vitamin E (as natural d-alpha tocopherol), Norwegian Fish Oil, Total Omega-3 Fatty Acids, EPA (Eicosapentaenoic Acid), DHA (Docosahexaenoic Acid), Natural Tocopherols, Natural Lemon Flavor, Soft Gel Shell: Beef Gelatin, Glycerin, Water, Fish Oil (Anchovy, Sardine and Mackerel)
- Nature Made Burp-Less Fish Oil with Omega-3. Nature Made Burp-Less Fish Oil with Omega-3 is a nourishing fish oil supplement. Formulated with essential omega-3 fatty acids, it lowers blood pressure levels, prevents and reduces the risk of heart disease, improves metabolism, boosts mood levels, fights inflammation, and promotes brain health. Purified to remove PCBs, furans, dioxins, and mercury to ensure levels below 0.09 ppm, 2 ppt WHO TEQs, and 0.1 ppm respectively. Nature Made Burp-Less Fish Oil with Omega-3 is specially coated to help prevent a fishy odor and aftertaste.
Ingredients: Gelatin, Glycerin, Methacrylic Acid Copolymer, Water, Triethyl Citrate, Polysorbate 80, Glyceryl Monostearate, Propylene Glycol, Tocopherols
Fish Oil Side Effects and Precautions
Fish oil is likely safe for most people when taken by mouth in low doses. However, there are some safety concerns when fish oil is taken in high doses.
Fish oil has a blood thinning effect, so taking too much of it can increase bleeding risk, particularly if its combined with other blood thinners, like aspirin, ginseng, ginkgo biloba, ginger, and garlic. Fish oil can also interact with some prescription medications, so talk to your doctor before you start taking fish oil vitamins.
Fish oil can also cause side effects including:
- Bad breath
- Loose stools
You may not even need a fish oil vitamin if you eat fatty fish like mackerel, sardines, or salmon a few times a week. Talk to your dietitian or doctor if taking fish oil supplements if appropriate for you.
The Bottom Line
Fish oil can be obtained by eating fish or taking fish oil vitamins.
Taking fish oil vitamins offers a number of health benefits. It can support heart health, fight chronic inflammation, help with weight loss, improve bone health, and keep your brain sharp.
If you’re looking for fish oil vitamins in the Philippines, some of our recommendations include Kirkland Signature Fish Oil, Puritan’s Pride Omega-3 Fish Oil, Piping Rock Omega-3 Fish Oil Lemon Flavor, Carlson The Very Finest Fish Oil Lemon, and Nature Made Burp-Less Fish Oil with Omega-3.
Always consult your doctor before taking any new supplements.
Disclaimer: The information on this site is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. All information contained on this web site is for general information purposes only.