The immune system is crucial to human health and is defined as ‘the bodily system that protects the body from foreign substances, tissues, and cells…’
When out of balance, the immune system not only fails to protect the body but may even attack it, mistaking ‘self’ cells as invading pathogens, resulting in autoimmune diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis and lupus. Allergies can result when the immune system mistakes a harmless particle (i.e. pollen) as an invading parasite. Moreover, years of chronic low-level inflammation – another indicator of an out-of-balance immune system – may lead to diseases such as cardiovascular disease and cancer.
The immune system is also very sensitive to the stresses of normal life – personal problems, travel, change in diet, and strenuous exercise can all cause immune system imbalances and affect overall health.
In this article, we tackle everything you need to know about the immune system – including some of the best vitamins for immune system to help you achieve optimal health.
What is the Immune System?
The immune system is composed of special cells, organs, and chemicals that fight infection. The main parts of the immune system are: antibodies, white blood cells, the thymus, the spleen, the lymphatic system, the complement system, and the bone marrow – these are the parts of your immune system that actively fight infection.
- Antibodies. Antibodies help the body fight infections (microbes) or the toxins they produce. They do this by recognizing substances known as ‘antigens’ on the surface of microbes, or in the chemicals that they produce, which mark the toxin or microbe as foreign. Then, the antibodies mark these antigens for destruction.
- White Blood Cells. White blood cells are the key players in your immune system. White blood cells are produced in your bone marrow and are part of the lymphatic system. White blood cells move through blood and tissue throughout your body, looking for foreign microbes such as viruses, fungi, parasites, and bacteria. When they find these microbes, they launch an immune attack. White blood cells include lymphocytes and many other types of immune cells.
- Thymus. The thymus produces the white blood cells known as T-lymphocytes. It also filters and monitors your blood content.
- Spleen. The spleen is a blood-filter organ that destroys old or damaged red blood cells and removes microbes. It also produces disease-fighting components of the immune system, including lymphocytes and antibodies.
- Lymphatic System. The lymphatic system is a network of delicate tubes found throughout the body. The lymphatic system is composed of lymph nodes, lymph vessels, and white blood cells (lymphocytes). The lymphatic system’s main roles are to manage fluid levels in the body, absorb some of the fats in your diet from the intestine, deal with cancer cells, react to bacteria, and to deal with cell products that would otherwise result in disorders or diseases.
- Complement System. The complement system is composed of proteins whose actions completement the work performed by antibodies.
- Bone Marrow. The bone marrow is the spongy tissue found inside your bones. Your bone marrow produces red blood cells to carry oxygen, white blood cells to fight infection, and platelets to help blood clot.
Best Vitamins for the Immune System
A weakened immune system can increase the body’s susceptibility to diseases and infections. Many things can weaken the immune system, including everyday physical or emotional stress. Secondary bacterial infections are possible since the immune system can be compromised by certain viruses. UV light can suppress the immune system, which can result in greater susceptibility to some cancers. Biological agents can also harm the immune system by killing off T helper cells, also known as CD4 cells.
Today, there is a wide range of pharmaceuticals and nutraceuticals developed and sold as immune boosters.
If you are looking for the best vitamins for immune system in the Philippines, we’ve got you covered! Below, we list down some immune boosting supplements for children and adults.
Vitamins for Immune System for Toddlers. Boost your child’s immune system with these vitamins! Note: Always consult your child’s pediatrician before letting them take any vitamins.
- Scott’s Vitamin C Pastilles
Help support your child’s immune system everyday with Scott’s Vitamin C Pastilles! Available in different fruit flavors, these chewable pastilles are high in Vitamin C to help support your child’s daily immune function, and helps protect them from disease and illness. Vitamin C not only helps support normal immune function, but it also contributes to healthy collagen formation hat supports the normal function of blood vessels, gums, teeth, bones, and skin.
Ingredients: Glucose, Sucrose, Gelatine (Bovine Source), Vitamin C, Blackcurrant Juice, Citric Acid, Orange Flavor, Natural Color (Grape Skin Extract). Contains acidity regulator as permitted food conditioner. Contains permitted coloring substance and flavoring substance. Rich in Vitamin C.
Ceelin is the most prescribed and most trusted Vitamin C supplement for kids which helps boost the immune system or their protection from illness and disease. For strong immunity at any age, Ceelin offers a wide range of products including Ceelin Drops (for babies), Ceelin Syrup (for younger kids), and Ceelin Chewtab (for kids 7 and up). Ceelin also offers Ceelin Plus which provides children with double protection against illness and disease with its powerful combination of Vitamin C and zinc.
Ingredients: Ceelin nutritional supplements contain Vitamin C.
- Smarty Pants Kids Formula Multi and Omega 3s Vitamin D3 for Immunity Vitamin K for Bones
Smarty Pants Kids Formula Multi and Omega 3s Vitamin D3 for Immunity Vitamin K for Bones is a multifunctional kids’ multivitamin formulated for strong bones, immune health, and more. Each serving contains omega-3 (DHA and EPA), Vitamins K1 and K2, Vitamin B12 to support energy production, and folate to help your child’s body form red blood cells. Smarty Pants Kids Formula Multi is formulated for kids to fill nutrient gaps and to offer a number of health benefits. It is free from synthetic colors, artificial sweeteners, artificial flavors, and other additives. Non-GMO and does not contain milk, soy, wheat, soy, shellfish, and tree nut allergens.
Ingredients. Vitamin A (as 50% beta-carotene USP, retinyl palmitate USP), Vitamin C (as ascorbic acid USP), Vitamin D (D-3 as cholecalciferol USP), Vitamin E (as d-alpha-tocopherol from sunflower oil), Vitamin K (K-1 as phylloquinone USP), Folate (as L-methylfolate, calcium salt), Biotin USP, Vitamin B12, Riboflavin (Vitamin B-2 USP), Thiamin (Vitamin B-1 as thiamine mononitrate USP), Iodine (as potassium iodine USP), Choline (as choline bitartrate), Omega-3 Fatty Acids, Inositol FCC, Vitamin K-2 (as menaquinone-7), Fish Oil, Sodium, Pantothenic acid (as calcium D-pantothenate USP), Vitamin B6 (as pyridoxal 5-phosphate), Zinc
Vitamins for Immune System for Adults. Your immune system helps protect your body from foreign or harmful substances. Boost your immune health with these vitamins!
- Puritan’s Pride Vitamin C-500 mg with Bioflavonoids & Rose Hips
Puritan’s Pride Vitamin C-500 mg with Bioflavonoids & Rose Hips is a Vitamin C supplement with bioflavonoids and rose hips to support immune health. It also helps neutralize the cell-damaging free radicals in cells.
Ingredients: Vitamin C (as ascorbic acid), Citrus Bioflavonoids Complex, Rose Hips (Rosa canina), Vegetable Cellulose, Silica, Vegetable Magnesium Stearate, and Vegetable Stearic Acid. No artificial color, flavor or sweetener. No preservatives, no sugar, no starch, no milk, no lactose, no soy, no gluten, no wheat, no yeast, no fish. Sodium free.
- Herbs of the Earth Vitamin D3+ 5,000 IU Immune Support
Herbs of the Earth Vitamin D3+ 5,000 IU Immune Support is an all-natural, gluten-free, non-GMO supplement for bone health, healthy muscle function, and immune support. Contains 5,000 IU of Vitamin D3 to strengthen teeth and bones; promote muscle development and function; and boost your immune system. Its innovative formula delivers the same biologically-active form of Vitamin D produced by the body as a result of sun exposure, but without exposure to UVB rays.
Ingredients: Calcium Carbonate, Vegetable Stearic Acid, Croscarmellose Acid Hydroxypopyl Methylecellulose, Vegetable Magnesium Stearate, Microcrystalline Cellulose, and Silicon Dioxide
- Kirkland Signature ™️ Vitamin E 400 IU
Kirkland Signature ™️ Vitamin E 400 IU is a dietary supplement that supports healthy heart and immune functions. It provides antioxidant support and is a vital nutrient for many cells, including heart muscle cells. It also protects LDL cholesterol from oxidation, which may cause cellular damage, helps neutralize free radicals in the body, and support the immune system. It is ideal for maintain a healthy heart, brain function, eyes, skin, and immune function.
Ingredients: dl-Alpha Tocopheryl Acetate, Gelatin, Glycerin. No artificial colors, no preservatives, no artificial flavors, no yeast, no starch, no gluten.
Ways to Boost Your Immune System Naturally
Aside from taking immune boosting vitamins and supplements, there are other ways to boost your immune system naturally.
Here are some tips to naturally boost your immune system:
- Eat a diet high in fruits and vegetables
- Minimize stress
- Get enough sleep
- Exercise regularly
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Don’t smoke (or quit smoking if you do)
- Drink in moderation
- Take steps to avoid infection (i.e. wash hands frequently)
The Bottom Line
The immune system is crucial to human health. A weakened immune system can increase the body’s susceptibility to diseases and infections. Many things can weaken the immune system, including everyday physical or emotional stress, environmental pollutants, and disease – among others.
Today, there is a wide range of pharmaceuticals and nutraceuticals developed and sold as immune boosters.
If you’re looking for vitamins for immune system for toddlers, some of our recommendations include Scott’s Vitamin C Pastilles, Ceelin, and Smarty Pants Kids Formula Multi and Omega 3s Vitamin D3 for Immunity Vitamin K for Bones.
If you’re looking for vitamins for immune system for adults, some of our recommendations include Puritan’s Pride Vitamin C-500 mg with Bioflavonoids & Rose Hips, Herbs of the Earth Vitamin D3+ 5,000 IU Immune Support, and Kirkland Signature ™️ Vitamin E 400 IU.
Aside from taking vitamins, some other ways to boost your immune health naturally include exercising regularly, eating a diet rich in fruits and vegetables, and minimizing stress.
Disclaimer: The information on this site is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. All information contained on this web site is for general information purposes only.