You try to eat healthy, but there are still those binges on burgers, pizza, and beer – and that’s just the short list of your cheat foods. So, you’re likely nowhere near close to getting all of the nutrients that you need each day.
You’re not alone.
After all, who really eats nine servings of fruits and vegetables every day? This is where a well-chosen vitamin can help.
Supplements won’t counteract poor eating habits, but a daily multivitamin can help bridge nutritional gaps.
In other words, while you still need to eat a healthy and well-balanced diet, on those days when you opt to eat junk food rather than veggies, the right supplements can help to fill in the gaps from a less than ideal diet.
Vitamins for Men: Why Is It Important?
Vitamins are essential to your overall health. They perform many critical roles in your body, from ensuring the proper function of bodily systems to producing energy.
Not getting enough of certain nutrients can negatively affect your health and may even result in chronic diseases.
According to health experts, men aged 19 to 70 years old need to make sure to get enough of the following vitamins and minerals:
- Vitamin A. Vitamin A is crucial for eye, skin, and immune health.
- B Vitamins. B Vitamins are involved in red blood cell production and energy metabolism.
- Vitamin C. Vitamin C is crucial for collagen production and immune health.
- Vitamin D, Vitamin K, calcium, magnesium and zinc. Vitamins D and K, as well as calcium, magnesium and zinc are crucial for bone health.
- Vitamin E and selenium. Vitamin E and selenium both help protect your cells from damage.
While you can get these nutrients from a well-balanced diet, most men don’t consume adequate amounts. This is where vitamin supplements can help.
Vitamins for Men Per Age Group
So, which vitamins are best to take during your 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s, and beyond? We break them down here.
There are many vitamins designed specifically for men. Whether you’re looking for the best vitamins for men over 20, best vitamins for men over 30, best vitamins for men over 40, or the best vitamins for men over 50 – we’ve got you covered!
- If you’re in your 20s (best vitamins for men over 20)
Here are some vitamins that you should take in your 20s.
- Probiotics. Probiotics are good bacteria – the same type found in your intestine – that promote overall gut health and enhance your immune system. You can get probiotics in your diet by eating yogurt, miso, drinking fermented and unfermented milk, and some juices and soy beverages. However, if you’re not eating or drinking those foods and beverages regularly, take a probiotic supplement.
- Fish Oil. Fish is one of the best sources of omega-3 fatty acids, which are important for brain and heart health. It also acts as a natural anti-inflammatory – which is especially beneficial if you have aching joints or sports injuries. Even if you manage to eat the recommended servings of fish each week, experts still recommend taking 1 to 3 grams of fish oil daily.
- If you’re in your 30s (best vitamins for men over 30)
Here are some vitamins that you should take in your 30s.
- Vitamin D. Along with boosting bone health, Vitamin D may help prevent metabolic syndrome, diabetes, certain cancers, multiple sclerosis, and other health conditions. One of the best sources of this nutrient is the sun – but you have to be careful about your sun exposure too. You can also find Vitamin D in foods like fortified skim milk, cooked salmon, and eggs. However, if you’re not eating enough of these foods and if you’re not getting much sunlight, consider taking Vitamin D supplements.
- Chondroitin and Glucosamine. Chondroitin and glucosamine, which are naturally found in the body, could be a great way to help with pain from aching joints and sports injuries. Experts recommend taking 1,500 milligrams daily.
- If you’re in your 40s (best vitamins for men over 40)
Here are some vitamins that you should take in your 40s.
- Coenzyme Q10. Coenzyme Q10 provides energy for the heart and helps produce ATP – the major energy source for cells. It is also important if you’re on cholesterol lowering medications like statin. Statin can significantly reduce or lower Coenzyme Q10 which your heart needs.
- Alpha Lipoic Acid. As you age, your body’s ability to utilize glucose becomes impaired. However, alpha lipoic acid can help regulate blood sugar, especially if you are prediabetic. It also promotes brain health, acts as an antioxidant by recycling Vitamins C and E, and can be beneficial for the liver.
- If you’re in your 50s (best vitamins for men over 50)
Here are some vitamins that you should take in your 50s.
- Vitamin B12. As you age, decreasing dietary intake and absorption make it difficult to get all of your B vitamins, including folate, B6, and B12 – all of which are important for the metabolism of fat, protein, and carbohydrate. Of those, Vitamin B12 may deserve the most attention. Why? While most men over 50 eat animal protein – the major source of B12 – the body has a challenge releasing it from food. Ask your doctor to check your B12 levels; if you’re low, you may have to take a supplement.
- Ginkgo Biloba. This powerful antioxidant can help protect brain cells from damage.
Best Vitamins for Men in the Philippines: Product Recommendations
Looking for the best vitamins for men in the Philippines? Listed below are our top recommendations.
- Centrum Multivitamin for Men
Centrum Multivitamin for Men is the most complete multivitamin/multimineral supplement specially formulated for men, containing Centrum’s highest levels of Vitamin D3 for healthy muscle function. This multivitamin for men deliver antioxidants such as Vitamins C and E and zinc for immunity support, as well as energy supplements like B vitamins to sustain your daily needs. Made with non-GMO ingredients, this gluten-free multivitamin for men also contains metabolism and muscle vitamins to help your body process proteins, fats, and carbohydrates more effectively.
Ingredients: Active Ingredients: Calcium Carbonate, Magnesium Oxide, Potassium Chloride, Microcrystalline Cellulose, Ascorbic Acid (Vit. C), Dibasic Calcium Phosphate, DL-alpha Tocopheryl Acetate (Vit. E), Maltodextrin, Modified Corn Starch, Corn Starch. Contains <2% of: Beta-Carotene, BHT (to preserve freshness), Biotin, Calcium Pantothenate, Cholecalciferol (Vit. D3), Chromium Picolinate, Copper Sulfate, Crospovidone, Cyanocobalamin (Vit. B12), Ferrous Fumarate, Folic Acid, Gelatin, Lecithin (soy), Lycopene, Magnesium Stearate, Manganese Sulfate, Niacinamide, Phytonadione (Vit. K), Polyethylene Glycol, Polyvinyl Alcohol, Potassium lodide, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vit. B6), Red 40 Lake, Riboflavin (Vit. B2), Silicon Dioxide, Sodium Ascorbate (to preserve freshness), Sodium Molybdate, Sodium Selenate, Talc, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vit. B1), Titanium Dioxide, Tocopherols (to preserve freshness), Vitamin A Acetate, Yellow 6 Lake, Zinc Oxide.
- Vitafusion Men’s Gummy Vitamins
Vitafusion Men’s Gummy Vitamins provides a complete gummy multivitamin that has been specially formulated to address the health needs of men. These delicious gummies combine essential minerals and vitamins with natural fruit flavors. Each two-gummy serving powers cellular energy and provides muscle support, immune system support, and energy metabolism support. It is also an excellent source of Vitamins A, C, and D.
Ingredients: Vitamin A 2,500 IU, Vitamin C 30 mg, Vitamin D 400 IU, Vitamin E 30 IU, Niacin 20 mg, Vitamin B6 4 mg, Folic Acid 300 mcg, Vitamin B12 18 mcg, Biotin 30 mcg, Pantothenic acid 10 mg, Iodine 38 mcg, and Chromium 120 mcg.
- Swisse Men’s 50+ Ultivite Multivitamin
Swisse Men’s 50+ Ultivite Multivitamin is a high-quality multivitamin containing 32 essential vitamins, minerals, natural herb extracts, and other nutrients formulated to support the nutritional needs of men over the age of 50. Swisse Men’s 50+ Ultivite supports energy production, immune health, eyesight, cognitive health, muscle function, heart health, and mental performance.
Ingredients: (Key Ingredients): Grapeseed; Iodine; Iron; Magnesium; Vitamin A; Vitamin B1; Vitamin B2; Vitamin B3; Vitamin B5; Vitamin B6; Vitamin B7; Vitamin B12; Vitamin C; Vitamin D; and Zinc. (Bulking agents): E 460; Calcium carbonate; Vitis vinifera L. seed extract; Stabilisers: E 1202, E 1201; Calcium-L-ascorbate; Magnesium oxide; Calcium-D-pantothenate; Thiamin hydrochloride; Coating (Thickeners: E 464, E 463; Colours: E 171, E 141, E 101; Humectant: E 570; Bulking agent: E 553b); Zinc bisglycinate; Riboflavin; Anti-caking agents: E 551, E 470b; Nicotinamide; D-alpha tocopheryl acid succinate; Pyridoxine hydrochloride; Ferrous fumarate; Cupric gluconate; Camellia sinensis (L.) Kuntze leaf dry extract; Soya lecithin; Vaccinium macrocarpone Aiton fruit dry extract; Manganese bisglycinate; Lycopersicon esculentum Mill. Dry extract; Flavourings: Mentha spicata L. aerial oil, Mentha x piperita L. aerial oil; Carotenoids (Lutein and Zeaxanthin); Retinyl acetate; Ubidecarenone; Flavonoid complex (Citrus aurantium L. var Dulcis peel extract); Vaccinium myrtillus L., fruit dry extract; Pteroylmonoglutamic acid; D-Biotin; Chromium picolinate; L-Selenomethionine; Potassium iodide; Cyanocobalamin; Menaquinone; Cholecalciferol.
The Bottom Line
Vitamins are essential to your overall health. They perform many critical roles in your body, from ensuring the proper function of bodily systems to producing energy. Not getting enough of certain nutrients can negatively affect your health and may even result in chronic diseases.
The best way to get these nutrients is through a healthy and well-balanced diet. However, on those days when you’d rather eat junk food rather than veggies, the right supplements can help to fill in the gaps from a less than ideal diet.
If you’re looking for the best vitamins for men in the Philippines, some of our recommendations include Centrum Multivitamin for Men, Vitafusion Men’s Gummy Vitamins, and Swisse Men’s 50+ Ultivite Multivitamin.
Always talk to your doctor before taking any supplement.
Disclaimer: The information on this site is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. All information contained on this web site is for general information purposes only.