Healthy, full-term babies receive most of the vitamins and minerals that they need from breastmilk or formula. If you are breastfeeding, a complete and well-balanced diet will ensure you are providing all of the nutrients your baby needs. As your baby starts to eat solid foods, provide a variety of fruits and vegetables, protein-dense foods, and whole grains.
However, some babies do need additional supplementation of certain vitamins. For instance, premature infants will likely require extra vitamins and minerals added directly to breastmilk or formula.
Also, most babies start with a very small amount of solid foods at around 4 – 6 months old, slowly increasing their portion size. Then, at around 9 – 11 months old, you may notice a significant drop in how much breastmilk or formula your baby drinks as more calories and nutrition come from solid foods. Because of their changing dietary needs over this transition, it is vital that infants get the nutrition they need to develop and grow. For some babies, this means filling nutritional gaps with carefully selected supplements.
Best Vitamins for Babies
Below are some common supplements recommended for babies.
- Vitamin K. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that all babies receive a one-time Vitamin K injection shortly after birth. Low levels of Vitamin K can lead to dangerous bleeding in newborns and infants. The Vitamin K given at birth provides protection against bleeding that may occur due to low levels of this essential vitamin.
- Iron. Babies are born with sufficient reserves of iron that lasts them for about 4 – 6 months. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that full-term infants who are entirely or mostly breastfed be given an iron supplement starting at 4 months of age. Consult your baby’s healthcare provider about how long to continue an iron supplement as your baby starts eating iron-containing solid foods. Generally, formula is iron-fortified, so formula-fed babies rarely need an iron supplement.
Premature babies, or infants with a low birth weight, may have reduced iron stores. If so, your baby’s healthcare provider may recommend iron supplements until your baby is at least 6 – 12 months old. This may be necessary even for some formula-fed babies.
As infants start to eat more solid food, giving them iron-rich foods at least twice per day will help them meet their iron needs. However, if your baby is over 6 months old, is breast-feed and is not eating enough iron-rich foods, the doctor may recommend an iron supplement.
- Vitamin B12. Vitamin B12, which supports healthy neurological function and prevents anemia, is found in animal products such as eggs, dairy, fish, and meat, and is not a concern for most children. However, if you plan to only introduce plant-based foods into your child’s diet, a Vitamin B12 supplement may be needed. Formula-fed vegan babies can get their Vitamin B12 from a special fortified formula, most often soy-based. A vegan mother who exclusively breastfeeds should make sure to consume enough Vitamin B12 through fortified foods and supplements to provide sufficient Vitamin B12 to her baby via breast milk. Typically, Vitamin B12 is included in most over-the-counter vitamin drops, milk substitutes, and fortified cereals.
- Vitamin D. Vitamin D is essential for healthy bones and the prevention of chronic disease. According to the American Academy of Pediatrics, all breastfed infants (whether exclusively or partially breastfed) and formula-fed infants (who drink less than 32 ounces of formula per day), should take a supplement beginning within a few days of birth. When starting solid foods, you can mix Vitamin D drops in purees as well as add them to water or formula.
Best Vitamins for Babies Philippines: Recommendations
Are you looking for the best vitamins for babies 0 – 6 months old? The best vitamins for babies 6 – 12 months old? Or maybe you’re looking for the best vitamins for toddlers to increase appetite?
If you said to any of the questions above, you’re in the right place!
Below, we list down some of our top recommendations.
- Mommy’s Bliss Baby Multivitamin Organic Drops
Mommy’s Bliss Baby Multivitamin Organic Drops is a completely organic multivitamin supplement that provides essential vitamins crucial for your baby’s healthy development and growth. This grape-flavored supplement contains Vitamins a, B1, B6, C, and E which helps with the development of healthy bones, metabolism, digestion, eyesight, and immune function. It also contains 400 IU of Vitamin D, the recommended amount to aid the absorption of calcium for strong bones.
Ingredients: Vitamin A and E: Organic annatto extract. Vitamin B: Organic guava, holy basil and lemon extract (vitamins B1, B2, B6, niacin, pantothenic acid). Vitamin C: organic amla extract. Vitamin D2: organic mushroom powder. Sourced from Orgenetics. Contains no fruit or vegetable juice. No additives or parabens. No artificial flavors or colors. No dairy, gluten, soy or nuts.
- Michaels Naturopathic Pedia Vites Liquid Dietary Supplement
Michaels Naturopathic Pedia Vites Liquid Dietary Supplement is packed with over 12 of the most essential vitamins your baby needs for healthy development and growth. All the vitamins and flavors are sourced from natural products, so you don’t have to worry about artificial sweeteners and flavors. Some vitamins in this dietary supplement include Vitamin C and zinc, which are crucial for cellular growth and the development of the immune system. It also contains Vitamin A derived from fish oil, which supports health tooth development and bone growth.
Ingredients: Purified water, glycerine, natural citrus flavoring, stevia, sodium benzoate & potassium sorbate.
- Enfamil Tri-Vi-Sol Liquid Vitamins
Enfamil Tri-Vi-Sol Liquid Vitamins is a gluten-free multivitamin supplement that delivers Vitamin A, C, and D for breastfeeding babies. A single dose of the liquid supplement using the dropper is enough to deliver the daily recommended dose of Vitamin D to your baby. Working together, the vitamins in this multivitamin would support your baby’s growth and immune system development. It also provides enough vitamins for stronger gums and bones. There are several ways to give this supplement to your baby. You can either give it directly to your baby using the dropper, or mix it with your baby’s formula, juice, or breast milk.
Ingredients: Glycerin, Water, Polysorbate 80, Ascorbic Acid, Sodium Hydroxide, Natural and Artificial Flavor, Caramel Color, Vitamin A Palmitate, Vitamin D3.
- NovaFerrum Multivitamin with Iron
NovaFerrum Multivitamin with Iron Pediatric Drops is a naturally-sweetened multivitamin that does not contain the extras that you see in many multivitamins with iron supplements. Aside from containing 8 essential vitamins and minerals, it also contains both Vitamin D and iron. NovaFerrum Multivitamin with Iron Pediatric Drops is free of gluten, dye, sugar, and alcohol. Unlike most liquid multivitamin with iron supplements that use iron salts, it has a patent-pending formula that uses a Polysaccharide-Iron Complex – this could help correct any iron-deficiency in your baby, ensuring healthier red blood cells and normal brain development. NovaFerrum comes in great tasting raspberry-grape flavor and does not have the unpleasant metallic aftertaste that you find in most other iron liquid multivitamin with iron supplements.
Ingredients: Vitamin A, Vitamin D, Vitamin E, Thiamin, Riboflavin, Niacin, Vitamin B6, Vitamin B-12, Iron (as polysaccharide-iron complex), Natural Vegetable Glycerin, Water, Organic Rice Bran Extract, Natural Flavor, Citric Acid, Xanthan Gum, Natural Color, LoHon (Monk Fruit) Extract, Sorbic Acid, Benzoic Acid, Talin (Thaumatin From Katemfe Fruit).
- Enfamil Poly-Vi-Sol with Iron Liquid Multivitamin
Enfamil Poly-Vi-Sol with Iron Liquid Multivitamin is a multivitamin supplement for growing infants that delivers 8 important vitamins including iron a single dose. This multivitamin is gluten-free and is devoid of artificial colors and flavors. Enfamil Poly-Vi-Sol with Iron Liquid Multivitamin contains Vitamins A, C, D, E, some of the B vitamins, and iron. These vitamins help to support growing bones, brain development, immune health, and other metabolic and developmental functions of your baby. Each package comes with a dropper for easy dispensing directly into the baby’s mouth. Alternatively, it can be added to breast milk, formula, and other baby foods so the baby can take them easily.
Ingredients: Glycerin, water, ascorbic acid, Vitamin E succinate, niacinamide, polysorbate 80, ferrous sulfate (stabilizer for vitamin B ), caramel color, Vitamin A palmitate, thiamin hydrochloride, riboflavin-5-phosphate sodium, Vitamin D , Vitamin B hydrochloride, natural and artificial flavor, sulfuric acid (antioxidant for iron), Vitamin B , sulfites.
- Tiki-Tiki Plus Drops
Tiki-Tiki Plus Drops is formulated for children’s healthy appetite and good health. It is a trusted children’s multivitamin that contains Vitamins A, B complex, C, D, and E which are important nutrients to promote healthy appetite and good health from birth with Tiki-Tiki Drops for babies 0 – 24 months and Tiki-Tiki Syrup for children 2 years and up.
Ingredients: Per 0.5 mL Vit A 800 IU, vit B1 0.15 mg, vit B2 0.15 mg, niacin 2.5 mg, vit B6 0.15 mg, vit B12 0.15 mcg, vit C 15 mg, vit D3 100 IU, vit E 2.5 IU.
The Bottom Line
Before giving your baby any supplements, always consult your baby’s doctor. Not all babies automatically need supplements. Make sure to introduce your baby to a wide variety of foods in order to develop their palate and to meet their nutritional needs.
Disclaimer: The information on this site is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. All information contained on this web site is for general information purposes only.